Envision Livingston committee has selected the 206 East Cedar Street home of JJ and Ginny Hollars to receive the Beautification Award.
Information taken from the Methodist church history book indicates the home was constructed in 1913 by First Methodist Church at a cost of $2,500, to be used as a parsonage for their ministers and families; however, the year it was constructed may have been as early as 1909.
Ministers who have lived in the home over the years include the following: W.M. Lantrip; E.A. Doyle; E.C. Sanders; Simon E. Ensor; Berry J. Duncan; J.S. Rice; Thomas C. Lackey; James Thomas Blackwood; N.I. Townsend; J. G. Harper; S.D. Organ; W. C. Westenberger; Charles J. Hawkins; W. L. Suggs – he and his wife killed in an automobile accident; J. T. Cotton; Rosell M. Johnson; Ewing S. Weakley; Charles S. Parker; and Robert Spain.
The home was used as a parsonage until December 11, 1955, at which time it was sold at auction to Dr. and Mrs. M.E. Miller for $5,835. In the early 1950s, Ernest and Naomi West purchased the home from Dr. Miller and wife. Mrs. West had been told during the time the home served as a parsonage, quite a number of marriages took place in front of the fireplace in the living room. After living there several years, Naomi West later transferred ownership of the home to her granddaughter, Jenny Rebecca West, and, sometime later, Claude Lee and wife, Lois Lee, purchased the home from Jenny. The heirs of the Lees sold the house in March 2019 to James B. “JJ” Hollars.
Because of the poor condition of the home at the time, ownership was transferred to the present owners. A vast amount of work was needed to save it from further damage. When the house was originally constructed, no insulation or subflooring was included in the building of the home. Red oak was used on one wall, maple on another, and then poplar on others, and may possibly have been provided by church members who donated the wood during the original construction.
Prior to improvements being completed, at certain times during the day, daylight could be seen through some of the walls. Some of the floors were badly damaged due to the house settling with the passage of time. Just a portion of recent improvements made to preserve the history of the house include saving and reusing much of the original shiplap and hardwood floors and some of the original plumbing fixtures. Modern conveniences such as wi-fi devices are now in use, and in the kitchen, double ovens and granite countertops were added.
Major contributors to the improvements done on the house in addition to JJ and Ginny Hollars include Jack Dale, John Copeland, Ralph McDonald, Nita Blaylock, James Carpenter, and Doyle Sells.
Nominating forms for the next Beautification Award can be picked up in the lobby of the local Chamber of Commerce office. The date for that selection will be announced at a later date.