Overton County News Overton County News - An Award Winning Newspaper - Livingston, Tennessee
homeabout ussubscriptionskids cornerlocal linkscontact us
80 Years Ago

Archives 02-10-2010

90 Years Ago

~ Local Happenings ~

Coming next Saturday night to the Dixie Theater, the great special attraction, “The Midnight Patrol.” The picture represents a current issue that confronts our Nation by the immigration of the Chinaman into our land. The picture has caused much comment in the large cities. Don’t forget, Saturday. Admission, children 15¢, adults 25¢.

Down in Alabama they are resorting to a concoction of paregoric and hair elixir as a beverage. Tennessee moonshine beats that two to one.

Laura Phillips, daughter of Lisa Phillips, is very low with pneumonia fever. Dr. Brown is waiting on her.

S.T. Qualls has moved from Dry Hollow to his property here.

Lester Holman has bought the half interest of L.P. Jernigan in the Birdwell and Jernigan Grocery. Since returning from the war and for several months before he went to war, Mr. Holman has been a popular clerk in the Fleming and Myers establishment. No doubt his many friends are pleased to see him launch out into business for himself. He has also rented the J.C. Bilbrey property on Main Street where he will reside.

An effect is being made to strike the word “obey” from the marriage ritual. Why not? It has become obsolete so far as practice is concerned.

Plenty of rain in Hilham.

Happy the child who is content to be a child while childhood lasts. Happy the parent who does not force artificial manners, precocious feelings, premature religion.

Turley Knight spent Sunday in Nashville with his uncle, Herman Estes.

Robert Williford is moving to the Bill Ayers farm.

Bedford Reid will move to his farm near Maxwell’s Chapel next week.

George Hargis and wife are visiting home folks near Hanging Limb.

Milliard Oakley was in town Saturday on business.

Lee Brady is building a new house.

C.C. Parsons is home from Illinois.

Oscar Story and wife returned to Monterey Sunday.

John and Reubin Reeser went to Nashville last week and brought back two trucks which will be used on the roads.

Miss Rebecca Lee, who has been teaching at Shepherd, returned home Saturday.

Mr. Cherry, who recently bought a farm from B.L. Speck, is remodeling his house.

In 1714 a patent for a typewriter was taken out in England by Henry Mill. His machine was very clumsy, and it was not until more than a century later (1820) that anything further was attempted. Then the first American typewriter, called a “typegrapher” was patented by W.A. Burt.

Arthur Williams of Butler’s Landing entered school here this week.

Grover Peek of Cookeville was here the first of the week.

Top of Page

415 West Main Street
P.O. Box 479
Livingston, Tennessee 38570
tel 931.823.6485
fax 931.823.6486

Printing Supplies Graphic Design Custom Printing Advertising