March 5, 1938 to March 11, 1938
• Mrs. R.G. Nethery and daughter, Sara Evelyn, and Bill Nethery, of Chattanooga, who have been visiting friends and relatives here, have returned to their home.
• John Heffine, of Nashville, visited home folks over the week-end.
• Several from here attended the carnival in Livingston.
• Mrs. Daisy Dodson and children have moved to Hilham.
• Miss Emma Nell Cook is spending the week with Miss Dorothy West, of Lynn’s Chapel.
• Several from here attended the singing convention at Aaron’s Chapel Sunday.
• Miss Velma Beasly has returned home from Celina.
• Benton Upton, who has been ill, is reported recovering.
• Debs Gaw, who has been in Detroit, Mich., has returned home.
• Miss Ruth Brown Bilyeu and Miss Mary Ruth Johnson were in Livingston on Saturday evening.
• Miss Gladys Livingston and Miss Jennie Davis, of Flatt Creek, were in Hilham Saturday.
Rites held for Mrs. Martha Jane Spurrier
Miss Martha Jane Spurrier, 60, widow of W.T. Spurrier, died on Friday, May 21, at 2:00 p.m. in the Lady Ann Hospital in Livingston, after an illness of several days.
She was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. James Thomas, and had been a member of the Christian Church for many years.
She is survived by eight children, four sons, and four daughters, as follows: Mrs. Homer Ray, Mrs. Mary Barnes, Mrs. Margaret Nelson, of Crossville, and Mrs. Myrtle S. Brown, of Cookeville; James and Edward Spurrier of Johnson City, Jack Spurrier, of Crossville, and Charles Spurrier of Livingston.
Funeral services were conducted on Saturday at Monroe, by the Rev. E.R. Vaughn, pastor of the First Christian Church at Livingston, and the Rev. Evie Tucker, with burial in the Monroe Cemetery.
top of page
Overton County News
415 West Main Street
P.O. Box 479
Livingston, Tennessee 38570