January 2, 1938
January 8, 1938
~ Ruth Chapel News ~
• Matt Smith, 62, of the Flatt Creek community died yesterday after a lingering illness. He was buried at Mt. Gilead, Tuesday, July 27th with the Rev. Lexie Freeman officiating. He is survived by his wife, Nancy Smith and two sons.
• Carey Carlock and his mother, Mrs. Thomas Carlock, are visiting Mrs. Carlock’s sisters in Nashville this week.
• Mrs. Marvin McCormick went home with her sister, Mrs. Poston of Smith County from the Bilbrey reunion Sunday and will visit her daughter, Mrs. Clint Lamons of Carthage before returning.
• Mr. and Mrs. Winfred Fleming are on a business trip to Nashville.
• Mr. and Mrs. Hooper Reynolds and baby, Norma Gay are with Mr. and Mrs. Curtis Franklin.
• The protracted meeting begins at Ruth’s Chapel Sunday.
• Otis Stewart and familiy attended the funeral of Matt Smith.
~ Okolona News ~
• Mrs. Venol Qualls, of Sparta, is visiting her mother, Mrs. Martelia Bilbrey.
• Mrs. O.E. Lee, who has been visiting relatives in Ohio and Detroit, has returned home.
• M.B. Qualls attended the quarterly meeting at Rickman Saturday.
• Mr. and Mrs. Lilburn Bilbrey of Ohio have been visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ridley Bilbrey.
• Misses Hassie Winton and Velma Howard have returned home from Detroit where they have been employed for the past few months.
• Mr. and Mrs. Turney Benson of Rickman and Mr. and Mrs. Dillis Benson of Nashville spent the day with Mr. and Mrs. Martelia Bilbrey and Mrs. Burr Smith, Tuesday.
• Mr. and Mrs. Troy Murphy and family visited relatives near Monterey last week-end.
• Mr. and Mrs. Otho Qualls visited Mr. and Mrs. Z.R. Chilton near Timothy Friday evening.
• Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Stockton, of Old Hickory, visited his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Harve Stockton, last week.
• Mr. and Mrs. Claude Burnett of Cookeville visited Mr. and Mrs. George Howard Sunday.
• Mrs. Carrie Ferguson and sons, Woodrow and Arnold, of Paran visited her sister, Mrs. M.B. Qualls recently.
• Mrs. Hassel Taylor visited her mother, Mrs. Jim Young, near Sulphur Wednesday.