Overton County News Overton County News - An Award Winning Newspaper - Livingston, Tennessee
homeabout ussubscriptionskids cornerlocal linkscontact us
80 Years Ago

Archives 11-17-2004

70 Years Ago


November 10-November 16, 1934
70 Years Ago In Overton County (from the files of the Overton County Library)

For more information on 70 years ago contact Bob at forsman99@yahoo.com


John R. Brown, 68, commonly called "Humpy John", died October 31, after an illness of four months, at his home in the Third District.

He was a farmer and timber cutter and manufacturer for many years, and was a man of more than ordinary mental ability.

He was well known in a considerable area, having worked in Clay, Jackson, and Overton counties in the timber business.

Surviving are his wife, and one daughter, who resides in Missouri, and three brothers, William, James, and Wash Brown, and four sisters, Mrs. Charles Coffman, Mrs. Porter Hawkins, Mrs. Monroe Hawkins, and Sarah Ogletree. Burial was in the family graveyard on the Brown farm, near Hilham.

Amos Tinsley Stephens, 58, a resident of San Antonio, Texas, died suddenly Monday at the home of his sister, Mrs. Dora S. Rich, here. He had been visiting Mrs. Rich and other relatives for the past few weeks. He had been complaining some for the past few days and seemed to have had a premonition of the approaching end, and wanted to go home to be with his family, when the end came. He started home, planning to go with Burton Smith as far as Nashville. Soon after starting, he become ill, and was rushed back to the home of his sister, and Dr. Capps was summoned, but of no avail.

Mr. Stephens was a native of Clay County, moving to Livingston 35 years ago. He moved to Chattanooga and lived for two years before going to San Antonio.

He was a farmer, and merchant, a member of the I.O.O.F., and also a member of the Church of Christ.

He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Pearl Stephens, two sons, Ben Williams, and Samuel, and two daughters, Misses Mary Hennessee and Margaret Stephens, also two sisters, Mrs. Dora Rich, of Livingston, and Mrs. Chester Groce, of Enld, OK.

Funeral services were conducted by Rev. R.B. Hurt, pastor of the Church of Christ, at the home of Mrs. Rich, Tuesday, with burial in the Good Hope Cemetery.

The pallbearers were Lester Holman, Alfred K. Lea, Charles C. Gore, W.W. Poston, Floyd W. Davis, and S. Baxton Smith.

Lloyd's of London is wagering the next World War will start within a year and a half.

Odd But True: An average silk stocking contains three and a half miles of thread.

George W. Watson, 44, died unexpectedly during the night of Sunday, Oct. 21, at his home at Wilder. His death was not known until members of the family went to get him up for breakfast Monday morning. He is believed to have died of a heart disease, as he had been up, and so far as was known in his usual health on Saturday.

He was a veteran of the World War, having seen service overseas, and was seriously injured by poison gas while in France, from which he never fully recovered. He was twice married, and his second wife survives, also four daughters, and two sons by his second wife, and two daughters, children of his first wife. He is also survived by his father and mother, and by four brothers.

Funeral services were conducted by Henry Johnson, M.G., Monday, with burial in the Wilder Cemetery.



Printing Supplies Graphic Design Custom Printing Advertising