Overton County News Overton County News - An Award Winning Newspaper - Livingston, Tennessee
homeabout ussubscriptionskids cornerlocal linkscontact us
80 Years Ago

Archives 03-27-2002

70 Years Ago




March 25, 1932 to April 1, 1932
80 Years Ago In Overton County
(from the files of the Overton County Library)

For more information on 80 years ago contact Bob at rforsman@usa.com


Roger, the ten year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Sid Brown, received painful burns Friday, as the result of striking a match and looking into a gas tank. The gas ignited and Roger was thrown several feet. The side of his face and one ear was badly burned.

Mrs. Laura Ledbetter, age 24, wife of Sidney Ledbetter, died at her home near Wilder on Monday, March 21, at 7 p.m. after a brief illness. She is survived by her husband, who is an employee of the coal mine at Wilder, and three young children, the youngest being about four weeks-old.

A.T. Poindexter, affectionately called Uncle Arch, celebrated his 95th birthday March 23. His wife, Aunt Maria, two sons, W.R. and Bedford, two daughters, Mrs. W.S. Webb and Mrs. Virgie Roach, and eleven grandchildren celebrated with him, as did a large number of relatives and friends. Even though he is almost blind, “Uncle Arch” always has a smile for everyone. He joined the Texas Rangers on December 15, 1858, and remained with them until March 15, 1859. In speaking of the Rangers, he mentioned Buffalo Hemp, an Indian chief who said he would die before he would surrender. He married Miss Nivens on January 11, 1862. After her death, he married Maria Watson on August 24, 1880. To the first union, five children were born, two of whom now survive. To the second union, six sons and three daughters were born. All except two sons are still living. His widow, 75, after living 52 years as a devoted wife and mother, now sits quietly in the corner waiting for his call.

Firemen to form the volunteer department were elected at a meeting of the Bohannon Post American Legion. Joe Dillen was named chief, and Alfred M. Keeton, assistant chief. Truckmen elected were Rucker Jones, Burney Winningham, and Paul Mathis.

Ernest estes dies at 38
Ernest Estes died Thursday at the home of his father, J.H. Estes, after an illness of about six years, contracting tuberculosis as a soldier in the World War. With a song on his lips, he joined Company “C” under Captain T.F. Stephens, when the United States entered the war. He was transferred to Company “B”, 119th Infantry, 30th Division, and fought in the overseas battles at Argonne, Belleau Woods, St. Quentin, the Somme, Cambral, and at Ypres. He was in the division that broke the backbone of the Hindenburg Line. Born and reared in Livingston, Ernest graduated from Livingston Academy and engaged in the retail grocery business. He married Miss Ruth Dutt, a former teacher at Livingston Academy. Other survivors include his father, a brother, Bruce, of Tullahoma, and two sisters, Mrs. Hallie Carr and Mrs. W.C. Stockton of Detroit. Burial will be in the Good Hope Cemetery Friday afternoon.


Overton County News
415 West Main Street
P.O. Box 479
Livingston, Tennessee 38570
tel 931.823.6485
fax 931.823.6486

top of page



Printing Supplies Graphic Design Custom Printing Advertising